Monday 21 October 2013

Project week task USA Government Shutdown


In Early October, the United States of America went into a governmental shutdown. Being an American I was feeling many things but mainly only two feelings; the first feeling was confusion and the second feeling was embarrassment. I didn’t really know what a government shutdown meant until I read into it and spoke about it with a fellow peer who was studying economics who enlightened me about the debt ceiling and pretty much made the government shutdown reality for me.
            A small summary of the issue would be as follows; the House of Representatives in America is led by the Republican Party and our president is Democratic where lies the main problem and reason why the shutdown happened in the first place. The shutdown was based around the issue of money and where the Democrats with Obama was spending the money and how much of it was being spent. The government shutdown happened after the republicans refused to give into what the Democrats wanted and nobody wanted to compromise enough. One of the main articles I chose, which is the CNN article is an unbiased (in my opinion) article that describes the government shutdown and gives the reader an unbiased description of what the government shutdown is and who it will affect and why.
            The huffingtonpost article I chose describes who the Americans think are the main cause of the Government shutdown. When I read the article, the news was just what I thought it would be; most Americans are blaming the republican party for causing the government but there is still blame being given to every person in the government who has a main part or contributed anything which includes the speaker of the house from the republicans, head democrats including the president.
            In my opinion, the government shutdown was necessary because I think it shook up the entire nation and made everybody realize the effects something like this could have on us if we didn’t come to a conclusion fast. I think personally reading a biased article will not affect me because of the fact that I know its showing one side over the other. If I was asked who I would blame I would agree with the lady from Texas that is quoted in the huffingtonpost and blame everybody in the government who had an impact. Even though I’m not going to be asked which side I would side with, I am better off knowing what the shutdown was about and I am thankful it is all over and will be dealt with at a later date so hopefully communication will be better in the future.

-Jeffrey Lasher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please read previous comments before contributing to the discussion